- She took a bottle for the first time last Sunday which was great because yesterday I was sick and we needed to give her a bottle and it worked out great.
- She slept for almost 7 hours last night and five hours a different night! Incredible. Actually getting her to go to sleep in the first place almost made Jared and I crazy because she was just wide awake while we were zombies. The night she slept for 5 hours I rocked her at 11 or 12 with her eyes wide open for it seemed like the longest time and I was so tired. I started going crazy muttering things like, "This is ridiculous. Be tired. I'm tired, why don't you be tired." Jared who had already went to bed for the night heard me and decided to trade me places which saved my sanity. Bless his heart. I try to save him from staying up late so he won't be exhausted at work, but this time it was good he stepped in. Yesterday wasn't much different except that Jared basically took the brunt of her awakeness trying to rock her forever and I went to bed avoiding the whole mess.
- She fell asleep in the swing for the first time. She usually sits there for about five minutes and then complains. But wait! Actually she is falling asleep in the swing as we speak so that is time number 2! Awesome.
- She is starting to spit up a little less which is nice. She still spits up a fair amount but it does not seem as huge as before.
- She grew out of two outfits that I know of so far! She is one tall little girl. At her two week appointment she was 22 inches and at birth they measured her at 20 which I think they just measured wrong. I don't think she stretched out that much in two weeks. Anyway, it was amazing to see that she couldn't straighten her legs in one of her sleepers already.
- We both haven't taken a bath in a week. No wait, just kidding that's not true. I mean she might not have, but I definitely have. But seriously I really think I did give her a bath midweek not that it totally matters.
It's amazing how every little thing she does is so cute. We just sit here and laugh at her when she's not really even doing anything but sitting there with this somewhat vacant expression on her face. Even when she burps or poops we think it is so adorable and funny. Her little grunts and cries are even cute even if they wake us up. Her first week she had the highest little squeal that was so funny yet so piercing and then she stopped doing it and I'm sad I didn't record it. It was amazing how high it was. My mom dubbed her the high soprano in her cousin yodeling trio shes determined to create with Reese (Venna's little girl) and Sadie (Lanny's little girl).
So I've decided that I don't know anything when it comes to raising a child. My biggest concern right now is how to manage her sleeping habits. I feel like that is so important for having a happy baby and for saving my own sanity. So here's my question, do I structure her sleep or let her do her own schedule? One book suggests to put them on a strict schedule which means to wake them up if they're sleeping to feed them on time and put them down at a certain time because they like structure. Another just says don't let them be awake for more than two hours and never wake them for anything. That is at least for the first little while and then it gets more structured as they get older. And others say let them do what they naturally want to do. Some of the information contradicts and I know I have to be consistant in whatever I choose, but I'm at a loss for what to do. Another question I have is when should I let them cry it out and when should I not? Last night I thought she ate enough and we put her down when she fell asleep and minutes later she cried long and hard. I think we let her cry for a good 20 minutes. I wasn't sure if she really was still hungry or if she was just complaining. She acted hungry yet again so we fed her a whole bottle and then she went to bed much happier. It's times like that I'm confused on what to do. Suggestions are definitely welcome. I am a student to all mothers. :)
Well someone is waking up so my time is gone!
8 comments:
It's so different with each baby :) All of my babies have been different. Addison is throwing me a curve ball because she is a cat napper and my boys would take long naps twice a day. I think to an extent they make their own schedule and you'll figure it out, but honestly it will all work out. If it makes you feel any better, I am so there with you up rocking Addison saying the same things :)
I let kaylee make her own schedule and it seemed to work well. My only problem with it is when I want a nap she sometimes does not lol. But it haas been really nice because she can sleep any where and I don't have to worry about being home at a certain time because she will only sleep in her bed, she can sleep any where!
So cute Jenna! I'm not a mom just yet so come October you'll have to let me know what you found to be best, since I will have no idea what I'm doing!!! She is adorable and I hope I get to meet her soon!
I won't even try to fake some advice for you, but i just wanted to say i chuckled at your mutterings when you tried to get her to sleep. I've heard that the first few weeks of being a mother feels kind of like babysitting, since it's not always natural and you feel kind of clueless. But i'm sure you're doing great jenna. someday, we'll be coming to you for newborn sleeping tips!
In the beginning I would wake them up so they would know that is how she woke up...and now she wakes up and plays in her crib until I come in to get her. Because of working Nap time is just needed when you see the signs. Why be tied down when it's nap time.....you can't go to the store or just be out. Let them get use to traveling and sleeping at the same time so they will not be a picky sleeper.
This is my advice, this worked for my schedule and my girls. Just figure something that works for you!
The best advice I can give you: go to your local library or book store and pick up a copy of "On Being Baby Wise". Best new mommy handbook ever. Seriously.
P.S. Your baby is super cute!!
I totally know how you're feeling right now. It's so hard to know what to do. I did a little of both...but I liked the routine/schedule better for me. When Nate was younger though I just let him sleep during the day when he wanted...and as hard as I would try to keep him up between dinner and bed time...sometimes he just couldn't stay awake. I have him on a schedule with naps and feeding, since I was working from home I needed to know when he was going to sleep and stuff.
We let nate cry it out when he was about 4 or 5 months. I think we could've done it a little earlier. It's so hard though to let your little one cry :(
Also...nap when she naps! That helped me get through each day. Trevor also helped by taking the first feeding at night and giving Nate a bottle. SO that way I could get a good stretch of sleep usually.
Hey are you coming out to Cali next week?? I heard from trevor's mom that you and lindsey are having a baby shower together. I'm hoping I can make it.
Another random note..I don't think i invited you to my blog since it's private now. Let me know your email address and I'll send you an invite. Email me at brepowers@hotmail.com See you soon!
Congrats Jenna!
Post a Comment