Saturday, March 7, 2009

Ode to the Roller backpack

You know, a lot of people look down on the roller backpack, but I would like to share the pros and cons of the lovely invention. I was once one of those that just felt bad for anyone that had one because they just seem so nerdy. But as I like to say, you have to earn the privilege to be called a nerd and I don't take that lightly.

Cons
  • They make this rumbling noise wherever you go. This makes it difficult to hear those soft talkers when rolling on tile, bumpy pavement or anything else that is not carpet. This noise also announces to everyone that you are in the area, so quietly arriving somewhere is no longer an option.
  • The roller backpack stops traffic when approaching stairs because I have to stop, pick it up, walk up the stairs, put it down and then continue walking. Every now and then someone runs into it and I just have to smile to myself.
  • Every once in a while it likes to run over people's feet. One friend's feet in particular has an attraction to it.
  • Roller backpacks generally are not, shall we say, cute. They generally look a little weird and not very stylish.
  • When it was fall, the leaves came down and got wet and clumped up in my wheels. I then had to just drag my backpack until I decided to get my hands dirty by cleaning out the wheels.
  • In the winter it has a similar problem but without the cleanup in the wheels. I thought about making some makeshift skis, but then I thought that would be extra nerdy and a little overboard.
  • It's a little tricky to run with it because I have to hold it to the side so my feet don't kick it. It's a rare occasion to run with it so it's all good.
Pros
  • People who share this commonality of owning a roller backpack are instant friends. I look at my fellow noisemakers and just can't help but smile at them.
  • I do not have to pick and choose which books I feel like I can handle as I walk all around campus because I know that it really doesn't make a difference. It all rolls the same! The only problem is the handle where I pick it up is starting to tear, but that is definitely fixable.
  • My posture is better because I do not have to compensate for the weight on my back. Now I do not come home from school and just want to stretch my back out and lay on the floor to get rid of the pinch in my spine. When I walk with my roller backpack, I walk tall baby.
  • It becomes a nice conversation topic as people tell me I have a nice backpack. I don't think I have had so many conversations about a backpack since my princess backpack in high school.
  • My particular roller backpack was only 10 dollars! I got it on a Saturday sale at the BYU bookstore. Good deals just make it that much better.
  • It stands up on it's own. With other backpacks they flop over, but the roller backpack holds it's shape like a champ.
So there you have it; the roller backpack is a great purchase, and I walk with pride as it rumbles behind me.

2 comments:

jenn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jenn said...

oy vay i accidentally deleted the last comment, oops. anywho, jenna how does this great post not have any comments yet?? i enjoyed reading it last month and i also enjoyed reading it again just now. I think you're very brave to do the roller thing...but i agree it would be wonderful to not have the tired, achy back from wearing a real backpack all day long.