Friday, January 16, 2009

little stories

I'm writing this timeline of my life for a class and so I thought it would be fun to post some of it. It has been taking me forever and I do not know if it is worth it anymore, but oh well. Here it is. :)

1988

We had cats in our blue house in Maryland and I apparently thought their food was just as good as my own. After all it looked like cereal shaped like little fishes. I was discovered by my mom who found evidence of cat food on my hands and the smell of fish in my breath. whew. If I were my mom, I would totally start gagging.


1990

We went to a family reunion at my Grandma and Grandpa Barrowes house in Salt Lake City, Utah. While we where there I got into a cousin’s car and found a nice bottle of pretty red things. I took a handful of them and ate them and then went back to find my mom. When my mom saw me she noticed red drool on my chin followed by me fainting to the ground. My cousin came in shortly saying that someone had gotten into her pills. That’s when it all came together and my mom rushed me to the hospital. They pumped my stomach and I turned out all right.


1991

Our location changed this year as we drove all of our stuff from Maryland to Alaska. It took a few weeks to get there because we stopped by people we knew all along the way. Though it was long, we enjoyed it because my parents figured out how to put the little TV in our car and play musicals and Disney movies as we drove.


1991

I joined karate with my brothers and showed them all how it was done. I wore my karate uniform all the time and intimidated people with my serious scowl. As I progressed from white belt to yellow belt they let me teach a class of adults how to do the first cada. I thought that was a very special moment. Also, that year I competed in a state competition and won 2nd in the state from my age group. I attribute that award to my facial expression and seriousness of every move I made.


1991

At another family reunion at this same Grandma and Grandpa’s house I ran down the sidewalk because I thought some kids needed help, but I found myself tripping and blacking out. The next thing I knew there where a bunch of faces looking down at me from my view of a table and I had a washcloth on my forehead. My mom and I then went to the hospital to stitch it up. For the next few weeks I had white tape on my forehead which I got to pull off a little at a time. I didn’t mind it because it looked like a karate headband like the kind they wore on karate kid.


1991

Because my birthday is in September and the cut off day for when to enter kindergarten differs from state to state, my mom took me to California for a month to make their cut off date which was later than Alaska’s. When I returned to Alaska I continued to go to kindergarten for about half the year and then they decided that I was not mature enough and I needed to wait until the following year. So basically I failed kindergarten. Not many people get to say that so I feel pretty privileged.


1992

This is the moment that changed my life forever. My mom introduced Buttons, my cute little Dachshund, to the family. I had been going around to all my neighbors houses asking if I could play with their dogs and my neighbors would tell my mom that we needed to get a dog. It had finally worked and I loved that dog more than anything. She had a sweet temperament and enjoyed the table scraps I dropped “accidentally” to her.


1993

First Grade was awesome. It was the first time I wet my pants during school and totally covered up the evidence (and maybe I should add the only time I wet my pants in school), I almost cried when my teacher gave me a bad mark for talking, I got a piece of paper stuck in my ear, I witnessed a few girls arguing over who was my best friend, I skated alone in our school’s ice rank as everyone at recess watched because I was the only one who brought my skates that day and my wonderful teacher entrusted the class to my leadership at least two times when she had to leave for a few minutes. That was a great year.


Maybe that is a weird place to stop, but it is going to happen anyway because it is seriously taking forever.

3 comments:

jenn said...

Oh my, this was so funny to read-- i love little jenna stories. are you going to post another installment when it is written? (1994-2000?) I think my fave was the story about failing kindergarten, plus your karate scowl.

Tiffany Robinson said...

How fun to learn a little about the your younger years.

Meagan said...

I totally ate cat food when I was little. So you are not alone! I think I thought it was those goldfish crackers because they were shaped like little fishes. I really enjoyed the little Jenna stories. Especially the karate ones.